Thursday, May 15, 2008

Political Office In Alec Baldwin's Future?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/05/08/60minutes/printable4079846.shtml

Political Office In Alec Baldwin's Future?
May 8, 2008

(CBS) Now that actor Alec Baldwin is 50 years old, he might run for political office. Baldwin talks to 60 Minutes correspondent Morley Safer about that and other aspects of his life, including his very public divorce and custody battle, in a profile to be broadcast this Sunday, May 11, at 7 p.m. ET/PT.

A decade ago, Baldwin was interested in politics, but said he was only 39 and all the people who ran the world were in their fifties. Since then, he has publicly dismissed the notion of running for office. A few weeks ago, he changed his mind. "There's other things I want to do [besides acting]. I mean, in a matter of weeks, I'm going to be 50," says Baldwin, who turned 50 on April 3. "There’s no age limit on running for office, to a degree. [It is] something I might do one day," says Baldwin.

Baldwin says he is ready for the public scrutiny and realizes the tact one must use when running for office because he's learned a lesson about what he says and how it can affect others in the nasty divorce-custody battle with his ex-wife, Kim Basinger. The spat resulted in the publication of an embarrassing voicemail to his daughter in which he calls her a "thoughtless little pig."

"If you go through the things I have gone through with the media like this thing with my daughter, there’s only one thing that comes to mind initially: that is how my daughter must have felt to have this played out in public," Baldwin tells Safer. "The second thing I realize is: you can pretty much bet all you own that I would never leave another voicemail message for my daughter that wasn’t just like something out of a Rogers and Hammerstein score."

Baldwin discusses the incident with his daughter and the divorce and shows he hasn't lost any of his combativeness. When asked by Safer whether it was abusive to call his ex-wife's lawyer a "300-pound. homunculus with a face like a clenched fist," he replies, "I was being kind, Morley."

No comments: