When you're called the best burger in the country, those are some pretty big shoes to fill.
When you're called the best burger in the world by the London Observer, those are gold-laced sneakers of Shaquille O'Neal proportions.
Memorial Day weekend is practically the opening ceremony of the summer grilling Olympics, and this year, it's time to go for gold with your own personal burger trainer.
Joey Campanaro is the chef and owner of the Little Owl in New York City - he's also the man behind the meaty masterpiece that is purportedly the world's best burger.
The Little Owl's Bacon Cheeseburger
Courtesy Joey Campanaro
•1 pound ground beef brisket
•1 pound ground short rib
•4 slices American cheese
•8 slices precooked bacon
•4 homemade buns
•Ketchup (suggested brand: Sir Kensington's)
•1 1/2 tablespoons madras curry powder
•1 1/2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
1. In a small bowl, mix curry powder, cayenne, 1/2 tablespoon cracked black pepper and 1 1/2 tablespoons sea salt until combined; set aside.
2. Preheat a grill or grill pan over medium high heat.
3. In a large mixing bowl, mix brisket and short rib until blended; season with salt and pepper. Separate into four balls and flatten into 3/4-inch thick patties. Season both sides of each patty with spice mixture.
4. Place patties on hot grill or grill pan, cooking for approximately three minutes per side for medium-rare, four minutes per side for medium; top burgers with 2 slices bacon and cover with cheese during the last minute of cooking. Grill buns, turning over once with tongs, until toasted. Cover the burger with the top bun.
5. Layer bottom bun with lettuce, tomatoes, pickles and red onion before adding the burger and top bun from the grill. Serve immediately.
6. Serve ketchup and extra pickles on the side for those who want it